Since 2011, Switzerland has contributed, through the Glaciares Project, to improving the adaptation capacity based on the community, local disaster risk management, and seizing of opportunities related to glacier retreat.
Markus-Alexander Antonietti, Swiss Ambassador to Peru visited the city of Huaraz, accompanied with a delegation composed of Martin Jaggi, SDC Cooperation Director, and Jocelyn Ostolaza, National Program Officer.
During his stay, Mr. Antonietti held a series of strategic meetings with regional and local authorities and actors involved in the disaster and glacier risk management field; all this within the framework of the Glaciares+ Project closure scheduled for the second semester of the year.
The agenda included a visit to Lake Palcacocha (glacier origin), located in the Cordillera Blanca mountain range, whose water volume has significantly increased over the past years, posing a high flood risk to the city of Huaraz. In that sense, together with the representatives of Ancash Regional Government, the National Water Authority’s Glaciology and Hydrology Unit, the National Institute for Research on Glaciers and Mountain Ecosystems (INAIGEM), the National Institute of Civil Defense (INDECI) of Ancash, and the University of Zurich managed to get a close look of the situation, progresses and challenges around disaster and water resource risk management in Huaraz.
Various communication media accompanied the delegation on its way to the Lake. The following news stories of the visit were published in local media:
- Huaraz Noticias, Palcacocha visitado por embajador Suizo [Palcacocha visited by Swiss Ambassador]
- Huaraz Informa, Ancash: Embajador de Suiza inspecciona laguna de Palcacocha y evalua gestión de riesgo [Ancash: Swiss Ambassador inspects Palcacocha Lake and assesses risk management]
- Inforegión, Ancash: Embajador suizo analiza gestión de riesgo en laguna Palcacocha [Ancash: Swiss Ambassador examines risk management in Lake Palcacocha]
- Ancash Al Día, Huaraz: Embajador de Suiza visitó Laguna Palcacocha por cierre del proyecto Glaciares+ [Huaraz: Swiss Ambassador visited Lake Palcacocha for Glaciares+ project closure]
- Huarazenlinea.com, Embajada de Suiza y autoridades regionales de Áncash unen acciones en gestión de riesgo de glaciares [Swiss Embassy and Ancash regional authorities join efforts in glacier risk management]
- Ancash Noticias, Embajada de Suiza anunció interés de seguir apoyando proyectos en Áncash [Swiss Embassy expressed interest in continuing supporting projects in Ancash]
- Ancash Noticias, Embajador de Suiza visita Laguna Palcacocha [Swiss Ambassador visits Lake Palcacocha]
Glaciares+ is an initiative of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation Global Programme Climate Change and Environment in coordination with the National Water Authority (ANA) and the Ministry of the Environment. It is implemented by the National Water Authority’s Glaciology Unit, the Regional Governments of Ancash, Cusco and Lima, and local governments and universities.
Glaciares+ Program, project sheet, Swiss Embassy, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
Web Glaciares+ project